Mr. Underhill practiced with Merchant & Gould P.C. in Minneapolis from law school graduation in 1976 until 2007. He became a shareholder in the firm in 1982 and was a senior vice president when he relocated to Phoenix in 2007. Mr. Underhill served on the board of directors for many years, and as the firm’s litigation practice group chair.
Mr. Underhill’s practice includes all aspects of intellectual property litigation and dispute resolution in the areas of patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and unfair competition. He has first chaired bench and jury trials in the Federal District Courts, represented clients in appeals to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and tried cases before the United States International Trade Commission representing clients seeking to exclude infringing imports. Mr. Underhill’s cases have involved a wide range technologies including medical devices, photoelectric sensors, electronic devices and circuits, software, chemical compositions, security camera control systems, highway sign retroreflective sheeting, in-line skates, and sewage pumping stations.
- Georgia Institute of Technology B.S.E.E (suma cum laude) 1968
- Georgetown University Law School J.D. 1976
- State Bar of Arizona
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Federal District Courts for the districts of Arizona, Minnesota, Eastern and Western Wisconsin, Nebraska
- Merchant & Gould P.C. (Minneapolis, MN) 1976-2007 (Shareholder and senior vice president)
- Snell & Wilmer LLP (Phoenix, AZ) 2007-2010 ( Of Counsel)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Adjunct Professor University of Minnesota Law School Patent Moot Court
- U.S. Army 1969-1972 (Captain)